Bessie Stringfield cotton cloth ornament is handmade in small batches by a woman-owned business in USA!
Ornament measures approximately 5 inches tall.
We're celebrating and honoring Bessie, the first Black American woman to ride a motorcycle SOLO across the US.
Here's Bessie's story:
- Bessie got her first motorcycle, an Indian Scout, at the age of 16. When she was 19, she rode solo from coast to coast for the first time.
- During WWII, Bessie was a civilian dispatch rider who carried secret documents from base to base in the US on her blue 61 cubic inch Harley-Davidson. During this time, she crossed the US 7 times.
- Her blue Harley-Davidson was just one of 27 Harleys she owned.
- Bessie Stringfield Ornament about 5 inches high and hand-crafted in USA by a woman-owned business
- A 1.25 inch metal button of the Civilian Defense seal that was displayed on Bessie's motorcycle